This is a sandwich I used to make often but since then I have reduced my consumption of poultry and turkey for ethical reasons. That is not to say that I never eat those things, but just much less. It’s a little greasy and fatty but it’s a bit of a treat. I’m surprised I don’t see it at restaurants because it is a delicious indulgence!
What you need to make this sandwich is simple and it has a good combination of flavours. The amounts of meat are up to you but 3-4 slices on each side is what I like
- Bread of any kind but Rye is preferred
- Montreal Style Smoked Meat or Reuben
- Shaved Deli Turkey , Smoked Turkey works really well
- Dill Pickles
- Slices of Cheese of your choosing (I use Mozzarealla a lot but Cheddar is good too)
- 1 Large Tomato Slice
- Black Pepper
- Lay out on a small baking sheet both slices of bread and butter them
- On one slice put the smoked meat, and on the other put the turkey
- Top each type of deli meat with slices of cheese
- Place in a convection oven or toaster oven and toast until cheese melts. You can use a microwave but I largely steer clear of them preferring the convection cooking.
- Take out and top the smoked meat with mustard, lettuce, tomato, pepper, and dill pickle in that order. Just a little pepper on the tomato
- Put a little pepper on the turkey too and put the sandwich together. Slice it in half with a good serrated knife
That’s it – Enjoy with a nice coffee or tea if you like!